Social Media

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Changes since Rana Plaza? Nazma Akter Part 3

July 22, 2015
NGO Report 1 Part 3
by Bill Quinn


I was so honored to speak with human rights leader Nazma Akter I broke our interview into three with this being that third and final piece.  For this part we spoke  briefly about what has happened in Bangladesh since the Rana Plaza factory collapse that claimed well over a thousand lives.  Before this interview I had always seen the improvement of factory conditions as the focus of human and labor rights in Bangladesh and other countries with a history of sweatshops.  But talking with Nazma encouraged me to think of improving the workers' lives beyond the factory.  Listen to hear Nazma make the argument that even safe and fair factories will not improve living conditions.


Download this episode here.

Listen to part one and part two for more of my discussion with Nazma.

Contact the Awaj Foundation with this email address.

Visit the Awaj Foundation's web site here.

I referred to a couple of articles from The Guardian about few corporations acknowledging problems in the supply chain as well as The Gap's reaction to allegations of sweatshop conditions.

And this concludes my three-part interview with Nazma.  My thanks to her for her time and for  earnestly answering every question I had. I look forward to catching up with her again as they continue to improve the lives of millions in Bangladesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment